POSTPONED UNTIL FALL 2020
Please join us for a full day of education, engagement and action. Panels will tackle issues including current dangers, destabilization from weapons upgrades, the economic and social costs, and the way forward. For a full schedule, please see below.
9:00am Registration and Coffee.~~9:15 am: Welcome and Introduction: The Tasks We Face
10:00am: CURRENT DANGERS
- New US Nuclear Warhead Designs: a Threat to Global Security-Lisbeth Gronlund (Union of Concerned Scientists).
- First Strike Risks - Prof. Elaine Scarry (Harvard University).
- Dangers of an Inadvertent Launch – Prof. Max Tegmark (MIT, Future of Life Institute).
- The Pervasive Influence of the Nuclear Weapons/industrial complex - William Hartung (Center for International Policy)
11:00am: ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COSTS -Chair, Rosemary Kean (Mass Peace Action)
- The Pentagon Budget - Subrata Goshroy (MIT).
- Cuts in Federal Domestic Programs- Prof. Jonathan King (MIT & Mass Peace Action)
- Costs to Massachusetts Residents-Rep. Nika Elugardo (Mass. State Legislature)
- Middles Eastern Devastation - Prof.Val Moghadan (Northeastern University)
12:00: Box Lunch and Workshops (details below). Rooms Assigned TBD
Stata Center Room 32-123
2:00pm: Paths Forward
- Chair, Jim Anderson (Peace Action of New York State)
- Diplomatic Options with Iran and North Korea -Jim Walsh (MIT)
- A Moral Budget for America - Savina Martin (Mass Poor People’s Campaign)
- Battling for Better State and Federal Budgets -State Rep. Mike Connolly (Mass State Legislature)
- The 2020 Elections – Andrea Burns (Our Revolution)
3:30pm: Next Steps: Workshop Proposals/Back from the Brink/No First Use Summit/Presidential Election
A)The Military/Industrial Complex: Paul Shannon (AFSC); Dorothy Phillips (Coalition for PA, NJ); Peter X. Casey (MAPA Nuclear Disarmament Working Group); Subrata Ghoshroy (MIT)
B) Back from the Brink/No First Use: Kea Van der Ziel (Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility);; Jeff Hoey (NJ Peace Action); Jean Athey (MD Peace Action); Susan Mirsky (MAPA Nuclear Disarmament Working Group); Dennis Carlone (Cambridge City Councilor)
C) 2020 Elections: Tony Palomba (Watertown Citizens for Environmental Safety); Arnie Alpert (NH AFSC); Judy Elliott (NH Peace Action); Steve Powell (Elephant in the Room Project); Jivan Sobrinho-Wheeler (Cambridge City Counciilor/ORMA)
D) NYC/UN Conference and the International Arena: Joseph Gerson (Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security)); Sally Jones (PANYS); Jerald Ross (CPDCS); Jim Walsh (MIT)
E) Campus Organizing: Professor Caesar McDowell (MIT); Brian Garvey (Mass Peace Action); Matthew Ricci (Brown Students Against War); MIT Students Against War; Harvard for Bernie
F) Moral Budget: for Massachusetts: Maryellen Kurkelos (Fall Fiver PA); Dan Luker (Veterans for Peace); Michael Kane (Mass HUD Tenants Union); John Ratliff (Mass Senior Action); Savina Martin (PPC)
G) Climate and War/Green New Deal; John MacDougall (350.org); Quinton Zondervan (Cambridge City Council and Green New Deal); Nick Rabb (Sunrise Movement); Timmon Wallis (Windmills not Warheads); Rosalie Anders (Peace Action Education Fund)
Co-Sponsors: Mass Poor Peoples Campaign; MIT Radius; Institute for People’s Engagement; Mass Peace Action; Union of Concerned Scientists.
Special thanks to the Peter Norris Fund for additional support.
Program Committee: Jonathan King, Savina Martin, Patricia-Maria Weinmann